5 Ways to Stay Protected Online
Our goal at Bittrex is to operate a world class cryptocurrency exchange with a focus on security, especially when it comes to protecting your account against cybercrime. Staying protected against cybercrime is a shared responsibility – so let’s go over some important things you should do to keep yourself safe:
- Don’t feel pressured to give information over the phone: Often, scammers may try to use calls or texts to impersonate someone from the government or a well-known organization, asking you to provide your credit card number, passwords, etc. This is one of the more well-known tactics used to access your personal information. If you’re ever unsure, you should always verify their credentials with the organization they claim to be from.
- Never give account information over social media: Bittrex will never reach out to you over social media to request your personal account information or ask for payments. If this ever happens to you, please submit a support ticket and let us know.
- Verify links before clicking: Always hover over any links you may be suspicious of and confirm where it is taking you. Links can easily be disguised, so it’s best to not click before checking the host URL.
- Download a password manager: Use a tool like 1Password or LastPass to easily generate and store complex passwords for your accounts. Do not use the same password for different applications.
- Enable 2-Factor Authentication: 2-Factor Authentication is an extra layer of security for your Bittrex account designed to ensure that you’re the only person who can access your account, even if someone might know your password. We recommend using an authentication app, such as Google Authenticator or Microsoft Authenticator. Avoid using SMS (text) 2FA whenever possible to prevent SIM swapping attacks.
We hope after reading this blog, you’ll ensure your online security is up to date. Keep up with our Discover blog for more security related content – happy trading!